WooCommerce beta 2.5 is scheduled for release on Monday January 18th.
A few bullet points to remember:
- You need to be running a local setup:
- If you’re not running a testing, staging, or local setup of your site, can I please recommend using ServerPress? Grab a copy, test your theme, plugins, and any customizations before pushing it to your live site. How awesome is that?
- You need to update!!!! ….but
- This site is running WooCommerce Beta! So we all can see it working right? But what about that plugin Code that you found in the middle of a Canyon? Has that plugin author checked their plugin against WooCommerce 2.5? If they have NOT kept their plugin up to date, and your instincts reach for the update button on WooCommerce, there’s a chance that something is going to break causing you to LOSE money!
- Instead of customizing a WooTheme, you chose to use a Theme that you found in a Forest. Ok, fine. Now, are all those WooCommerce template files up to date? Has that theme author been following https://woocommerce.wordpress.com to keep current? Or is your choice of themes going to cause your store to CLOSE?
- Have you tested your WHOLE site?
- Here’s a list of ALL the changes that are coming. I want to encourage you to look at and review these changes. IF you (or someone you paid) have added custom code, please check your customizations against these changes.
In This Post:
Remember this post about WooCommerce Updates that I made a few months ago?
I care about your store staying open. I care about you, your finances, your family, and your success with WooCommerce. It’s vital that you keep things updated. And at the same time, it’s also important that your plugins and themes are updated as well.
- If you choose to use a plugin written by someone who doesn’t follow the WooCommerce Development site,
- If you choose to use a theme created by someone who has haphazardly added WooCommerce features (simply to drive sales),
- If you choose to use plugins from one of these knock-off WooCommerce Extension sites,
Then please stop!
WooCommerce’s 2.5 update is great. The code is crazy good! The new transients are terrific! The sessions are superb. And you should checkout the new checkout page! But don’t get yourself into a bind. Use ServerPress. Instead of leaving your store’s fate in the hands of someone else, customize Storefront! Use WooThemes official Extensions!
insanely awesome featured image unashamedly stolen from this post